JOB POSTING: SUMMER RESEARCH INTERN
DEADLINE: Monday, February 26th, 2024 at 11:59 PM.
POSITION: Summer Research Intern
EMPLOYMENT TERM: 16 weeks from May 6th to August 23rd, 2024
COMPENSATION: $17.55 per hour, 35 hours per week
LOCATION: Hybrid Work: Mostly remote but occasional opportunities for in-person engagement and/or as needed by intern in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA).
OUSA is looking for a skilled and passionate Summer Research Intern to join our close-knit team for the summer. This is a great opportunity for students who have some knowledge of student issues and advocacy and are eager to learn more.
Under the guidance of the Research & Policy Analysts, the Summer Research Intern will be working in a small and energetic office where they will engage with complex policy topics, conduct qualitative and quantitative research, and contribute to OUSA publications. This internship offers the opportunity to develop research and communication skills and explore personal research interests while learning about advocacy and public policy in Ontario.
To be eligible for the internship, applicants must:
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate student at an OUSA member institution (graduating students are eligible); and
- Not have held a prior position with OUSA as a staff member or Director.
The successful candidate will:
- Possess a working knowledge of MS Word and Excel;
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Have employment, volunteer, or academic experience with research methods and policy analysis (working knowledge of SPSS software an asset but not required);
- Demonstrate an ability to thrive in a collaborative, team-based environment;
- Possess a keen interest in post-secondary education and Ontario politics; and
- Demonstrate an appreciation for OUSA’s mandate and mission.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The OUSA Summer Research Intern will undertake special projects in the areas of research and policy, in addition to supporting the OUSA home office team in the day-to-day operations of the organization. Reporting to the Research and Policy Analysts, the Summer Research Intern will:
- Develop and carry out independent research and policy projects on topics designated by the organization and supervised by the Research & Policy Analysts and Executive Director;
- Revise and/or create updated issue briefings for the website;
- Assist with detailed dissemination and publication of data from the Ontario Undergraduate Student Survey;
- Author periodic blog updates on research findings related to OUSA policy priorities;
- Participate in and support the planning of summer conferences;
- Revise, when required, facts and figures in standing policies of OUSA; and
- Support the work of the Research & Policy Analysts, Communications & Operations Coordinator, and Executive Director in projects as required.
Please email your resume and cover letter to Malika Dhanani, Executive Director, at [email protected].
Please note: Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted via email by Monday March 4th, 2024. These candidates will be asked to complete a small, at-home assignment to bring to their interview and interviews will be conducted via Zoom on Friday, March 15th, 2024.
OUSA encourages applications from students who have traditionally been underrepresented in post-secondary education, including but not limited to racialized students/students of colour, Black students, Indigenous students, students with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ students.
OUSA is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA). If you require accommodations for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please email [email protected].