How to Write a Letter to an MPP
Are you unhappy or pleased with something announced or enforced by the Ontario Government? If you want to have your voice heard, you can write a letter to Members of Provincial Parliament (MPPs).
Why Write a Letter to your MPP?
Writing a letter to your MPP gives you the opportunity to make your voice heard as a constituent of their riding. MPPs have shown to be effective advocates for their constituents, but need to hear from them in order to do so. At OUSA we do our best to advocate on behalf of all of our students, but writing a letter to your MPP allows you to personally address and advocate on issues that you think are important.
To whom should I send my email/letter?
If you want to gain the support from your Local MPP:
- Find your provincial riding
- Find (MPPs) email(s) and address(es) here
If you want to address the Ministry in charge of your issue:
Step 1: Send your letter directly to the Premier, Minister(s), Parliamentary Assistant(s), and Critic(s) in charge of the issue
For example, if your issue pertains to post-secondary education, you should simultaneously send your letter to:
- Doug Ford, Premier of Ontario firstname.lastname@example.org
- Merrliee Fullerton, Minister of Colleges, Training and Universities email@example.com
- MPP Stephen Lecce, Parliamentary Assistant to the Premier firstname.lastname@example.org
- MPP David Piccini, Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Training, Colleges and Universities email@example.com
- MPP Kathleen Wynne, Liberal Critic firstname.lastname@example.org
- MPP Chris Glover NDP Critic - Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities CGlover-QP@ndp.on.ca
Step 2: Include your Local MPP
- Find your provincial riding here
- Find MPP(s)’ email(s) and address(es) here
Copy the MPP who represents the riding in which your university is located
Queen’s University, Kingston and the Islands
- MPP Ian Arthur IArthur-QP@ndp.on.ca
Brock University, Niagara Centre
- MPP Jeff Burch JBurch-QP@ndp.on.ca
Wilfrid Laurier University and the University of Waterloo, Waterloo
- MPP Catherine Fife email@example.com
Wilfrid Laurier University, Brantford - Brant
- MPP Will Bouma firstname.lastname@example.org
McMaster University, Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas
- MPP Sandy Shaw SShaw-CO@ndp.on.ca
Laurentian University, Sudbury
- MPP Jamie West JWest-QP@ndp.on.ca
Trent University Durham, Oshawa
- MPP Jennifer K. French JFrench-QP@ndp.on.ca
Western University, London North Centre
- MPP Terence Kernaghan TKernaghan-QP@ndp.on.ca
- Queen’s University, Kingston and the Islands
What should I write in my letter?
- Who you are, what university you attend
- What issue concerns you
- How you feel
- What you want to be done or changed
- A date by which you want to hear about what they are going to do
- Your name and (e-mail) address
Sample MPP Letter
Name of MPP/Party Leader
City/Town, Postal Code
Dear (Mr./Ms./Mrs.) (Surname)
My name is [your name here] and I am an undergraduate student at [your university student here]. I am writing to you to express my concerns on [issue here].
[Paragraph 1: Background information on the issue]
[Paragraph 2: How you feel and how the issue affects you, your peers, and your university community]
[Paragraph 3: What you want done or changed]
[Date by which you want to hear back from them]
Thank you for taking the time to listen to my concerns, and I look forward to receiving a response from you.
[Personal Signature if available]
There are also plenty of resources available online, here are some guides and examples:
- Action Ontario, Advocacy Toolkit, Sample MPP Letter
- Legal Line, Writing to your MP or MPP
- Trec, How to Write an Effective Letter to your MPP
Need more info?
If you still want assistance or need more information, please contact your university’s Steering Committee Member, or email email@example.com.
- Danny Chang, USC - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Julia Göllner, AMS - email@example.com
- Shannon Kelly, WLUSU - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Matthew Gerrits, Feds - email@example.com
- Stephanie Bertolo, MSU - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kathryn Kettle, SGA-AGÉ - email@example.com
- Beth Lindsay, TDSA - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nadia Bathish, BUSU - email@example.com
- Munro Watters, AMS - firstname.lastname@example.org