While Ontario students apply for and receive financial assistance through the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP), their loan is actually composed of two loans, one from the federal government (Canada Student Loan) and one from the provincial government (Ontario Student Loan). The federal government funds approximately 60 per cent of a student’s loan and the provincial government funds the remaining 40 per cent. Each government estimates a student’s financial need separately through a …read more
OCUFA Teaching Award Winners
Last Saturday, October 23, representatives from OUSA had the pleasure of attending the awards ceremony for the Teaching and Academic Librarianship Awards, conferred annually by the Ontario Confederation of University Faculty Associations.
The awards, presented over lunch at the Royal York Hotel in Toronto, honour faculty who have made exceptional contributions in the areas of instruction, course and curriculum development, and student engagement. A committee of profe …read more
TORONTO, Oct. 26 /OUSA/ – Undergraduate students are generally supportive of the government taking a more active role in transforming Ontario’s universities to better balance the system-wide demands for a high-quality and accessible learning environment with the capacity to undertake research. This reaction comes upon review of the report released today by the Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario (HEQCO) calling for greater differentiation in the university sector. This tra …read more
Today is the day of the 2010 Municipal Election. Polls across every city have opened and will be running until 8:00pm.
The Municipal Elections Act has made an exception for students to vote in their home municipality and the municipality that they live and study in, and students really don’t have to look very far before realizing the impact that their elected municipal representatives can have on their daily lives.
If you live in a house or an apartment in the city you study in, you should vot …read more